Saturday, April 26, 2014

Making Sad into Happy

Bathrooms have to be my favorite room to decorate.  They're usually small and you don't have to do much to make an impact.  It's easy to do something fun and bold in a small bath. The kids have a small half bath upstairs that was class "A" boring!  Time for a little redo!

Because of some light fixtures I found for a fabulous deal (70% off), one thing led to another (namely, old pink painting showing behind the new light) and the bathroom became top priority to redo.

First order of business was finding some storage, because there was none, nada, zero.  Size of said storage was a major concern.  Nothing too deep, or wide.  I was trying to find something used and pretty cheap and finally ran into this little dresser at a thrift store.  The kids and I had agreed on a design inspiration based on some scrapbooking paper in turquoise and mandarin orange.  So I bought this with the intention of painting it to match.  But Willow liked the design of the dresser and wanted to keep it.  Greydon didn't care, so we just went with it.


I painted the whole bathroom a nice bright white.  Then did stripes just for fun!  I love them more than I thought I would.  They are just so cheerful!  The paint is leftover from Willow's room.  I purposely placed a wide white stripe behind the toilet for ease of painting.  The toilet tank also determined the size of the stripes.
 Then it was just a matter of putting in some cute things and calling it good!
 I've had this "Wash, Brush, Floss and Flush" decal for YEARS!  I never could figure out the best place for it in our last house.  The kids are probably a little old for the little rhyme, but hey, it's still a kids bathroom, so I went ahead and put it on the mirror.  I'm sure I'll get a thirteen year old eye roll out of Willow.
 I'd seen this green plastic tray at the thrift store and loved the color but didn't have any place to put it at the time.  But a few days later I remembered it and thought it would be perfect with the newly acquired dresser and low and behold, it was still there!  It's a good fit for a kid's bathroom because I don't have to worry about them ruining it or breaking it.
 The rabbit and the grass were bought new at TJ Maxx.  All other items were "shopped" from around the house.
 The glass shelf was previously in the bathroom, it just had to be centered over the toilet.
 Opposite the toilet is a blank wall that's too close to really put any furniture on, so there's a group of frames.
 Andy's mom sent some old black and white photos of her as a child with her family, as well as one of Grandpa John as a kid with his family.  These are grouped with a postcard from Ireland.  It makes a fun thing to study whilst sitting upon the throne.
 Greydon thought it was funny to buy this Restroom sign from Home Depot.  :)
 I had bought these cute little soaps at the winter farmers market, and happened to have a glass heart that matches them perfectly.  I find it amusing to put it in with the soap.
 This needlepoint was something I got from Hopie, because I just like needlepoint!  It seems to go well in here, even though it's very traditional.
A close up of the bunny.  It has a concrete like finish, even though it's ceramic.  He/she might need a name, I think...  Voldemort?  :)  Greydon's sure enjoying the Harry Potter series again.

And that is the kids' bathroom!!  I gave it a good cleaning, and am calling it finished.  Now I'm eyeing the marked up walls in the stair landing and thinking that might need a little update next.  We have moss green paint from the basement that would tie in to the bathroom dresser color --- we'll see where that leads!

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this bathroom. You are terribly clever. I never think of stripes, but I always love them when I see them. And I love needlework like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute and cheery! It's funny how you update one space and then suddenly you start noticing something next to it looking dingy... And so goes the domino effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the changes! Nice that the flooring was a fun neutral to start with, too. And I love your new light fixture! And Greydon's Bathroom sign. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the sweet comments!!

    ReplyDelete

No spam please!