Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Crafting:: Bauble Display

Got around to a little crafting project the other day. Okay, well, actually about 3 months ago according to the picture date...  I'm such a procrastinator!

I have a little collection of vintage brooches that didn't have a good place to go since we moved.  I wanted to be able to see them, so they would be easier to wear.  I was looking at a stand I had bought for typing which wasn't really working for me anymore and had one of those light bulb moments that said -- I could use this to display my pins!  Well, it only worked for one or two pins.  The others just fell out.  FAIL. 

But later, I had another thought: I could "upholster" a piece of cardboard to use as a display.  Now we were in business!

So after some more procrastinating, I finally got around to putting it together.

 I started with a piece of cardboard, some batting cut just a little bigger than the board, and some fabric a bit bigger than that.

Then I got out the hot glue gun and wrapped it, being careful to keep the stripes of the fabric straight.  I just folded the corners like a package being gift wrapped.  And lots of glue.

 Then I thought it would look classy to add some button "tufting".  I just pre-poked holes in the cardboard from the back with a needle and then sewed on the buttons.  Oh yeah, and I actually measured where they should go.  My mom should be proud!  :)  I'm so inclined to estimate and call it good.

 
 
 Here's a close up of the back.  You can see the corner fold, and the buttons tied off.

Then I just propped it on my paper holder thingy and put on the pins.  I was too impatient to wait 'til daylight to take a picture, so here's a really bad picture of the finished product.


I put it on the bookshelves in our bedroom.  An added bonus is that there is a window on the opposite side of the room that the morning sun streams in.  It shines right on the brooches and sends little reflections all over, just like a disco ball!  Love it!
Done any little craft projects lately?
 

3 comments:

  1. Cute idea! Someday I look forward to getting my closet and accessories under control...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cool! And look at those beautifully arranged shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky - you're too kind! If you saw "the other half's" half of the shelves, you wouldn't be so impressed. HAHA! You can see a little bit of how he uses it for a dresser - classy.

      Delete

No spam please!