Friday, April 10, 2015

Lavender and... Rust?

For a while now, I've been looking for a rug to put it in my office that would not be too crazy (since the colors are already bright) but still tie in with the color scheme. On a antiquing outing, I saw a Persian type rug in the corner that looked moody hot pink and purple and perfect! When I pulled it out of the shaded corner, it was clearly dark orange, not magenta or pink. So disappointing. However, the size was perfect and so was the price - $40. So it came home with me anyway. Putting it in the office, it clearly clashed with all the pink that was in the room. It also has a very antique feel, which didn't blend so well with the more modern bright feel of the room.  So then the decision was: a) to try to make it work  b) move it to another room or c) try to overdye it with pink. The funnest option was to try to make it work. This is not as easy as throwing it in the guest suite, but a lot less risky than trying to overdye it.  Dying it sounds SOOO cool, but I'm scared to death to try it.  What if it makes a perfectly lovely rug look horrendous!!!?? So today I've been minimizing the pink and bringing in the orange and rust to try to see if this rug can work with the lavender walls. It's a bit of a challenge!  Here's what I have so far:




(Hey, Jo - recognize anything here?)  This photo also features my new creepy camel there on the right. lol!  He's (Clyde) made of leather and has glass eyes.  Totally looks real.  He seemed pretty neat in the thrift store, but is just a little creepy at home.  But we still like him! ha!

The "gallery" wall hasn't had much done except taking out the pink, or most of it.  I'll have to decide if I want to add to it or what.


So what do you think?  Keep rolling with the rust/orange scheme?  Try the overdying technique?
This is what that looks like:

 

I would dye it pink/magenta in hopes that the orange tones would turn pinkish.  Seems like a setup for a major DIY failure.  What do you think?

Different subject, but same room:  I got really tired of maneuvering around the closet door, so I took it off!  Not exactly design central, but it does make the mirror a lot easier to use.


I wasn't completely loving the scarf storage on the back, so I put them on hangers for now.  Sorted by color, of course.  I also was needed some storage in this room.  A chest of drawers or something would have been good.  The desks have no drawers.  But I ran into this very shallow shelf unit and thought it would fit the bill in the closet.  Now it hold things like extra envelopes, paper, printer ink, and old schedule books.  Works great.

Now to work on keeping my desk top a little tidier!  99.9% of the time, it looks like a tornado recently came through.  But ask me to find something in the piles, and I can pull it right out!  Yep, I'm one of those "organize by piles" people by nature.  ha!


4 comments:

  1. I have always loved the overdyed look and was tempted to try it myself. I actually wanted to try it on one of our living room carpet remnants, but it's wool, and wool doesn't really dye. Easily, anyway. If I had the right rug I would totally try it! As for the rust and lavender... It isn't too terrible, but it isn't ideal either. Which do you love? The paint or the rug? I would be more inclined to paint to go with the rug (paint is cheap) but is that against policy in this house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real question is will you love going into that room like you did before the rug? If not, get rid of the rug! Over dying? Hmm, I know someone who loves to dye things, but I'm not sure if I could get ahold of her. Still, it does look iffy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dyeing is very unpredictable, but that's part of the fun. I have done it at the laundromat, though never on such a big item. Also, to be ethical, you have to run two cycles of water through the machine afterward, which adds to the time spent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that rug. But I love orange. And I think the lavender works all right with it. And since that is the easiest option, leave it and see how you feel in a month or so.

    ReplyDelete

No spam please!