Friday, March 27, 2015

Filing Prowess - Trust Me, You'll Be Impressed

Anyone out there love filing? Ha! Well, I thought I'd check.  I know there are some of those types out there somewhere, or maybe they are just an urban myth. 
Actually, I like filing a lot, in theory. Being able to find just the piece of paper you need when you need it - lovely! I'm sure this comes from being a file clerk in my younger years. But actually practicing it in my home is a completely different story.   I have been just barely getting by for years with a minimal level of filing - usually done when I would (finally) get along to balancing the checkbook. As many of you know, I stopped doing the checkbook awhile back. And the filing has completely gone to pot since! The biggest culprit is receipts.  I put them in a drawer of the living room credenza and they are to the point of completely overflowing. I haven't reached the bottom of the pile yet, but I'm guessing it'll go back to last August or September.  It's a big drawer.

I really only want to keep them for a little while, so having them sorted by date is helpful.  Here's my brilliant solution:


Told you you'd be impressed!!!!  But seriously, do you know how much easier this is than anything else?! LOL!  When I've kept them for as long as I plan to, they can be dumped in the shredder.  And for those hoping that I'm not keeping these bags front and center on the credenza in my living room - have faith. :)  I moved them onto the floor.

PS  While we're on the subject of paper.  I just put the date of our recycling center's free paper/document shredding day.  I missed it last year, but am determined not to this year.  Does your community have something like this?  I highly suggest you take advantage of it!!

2 comments:

  1. Lol :) I must say though, my stacks of unfiled paper puts yours to shame. We're talking years. I have dreams of going paperless but the idea of all that scanning.... Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

No spam please!