I mentioned earlier that I wasn't liking my clothes being in a different room. It continued to be annoying, so I knew I had to make my bedroom closet work. A friend of mine gave me a closet shelf that she wasn't using anymore and I thought it might work to add additional hanging space for my closet.
She didn't have the brackets that attached the back of the shelf to the wall, so I did some creative jimmy-rigging. The nice man at the hardware store was happy to order the brackets that actually WENT with the shelf, however, me, in all my glorious patience needed something that would work TODAY! So, some ceiling hooks into studs does the trick just fine.
The closet is a full size double closet, as far as I can tell. But instead of having sliding closet doors, it has two side-by-side standard doors. I hate sliding closet doors, so this setup is fine, with one minor problem: access. The doors are just two feet wide, so there are parts of the closet that are well tucked away. There are these shelves on each end which provide a decent amount of storage, they're just hard to get to if you have any hanging clothes. But it's what I have, so we'll just have to work with it.
Here are all the clothes moved over into the bedroom closet:
Jackets and button up shirts on the top rod, skirts on the bottom. Since the skirts take up the volume of space that previously had my dirty clothes hamper, I moved some of the wooden shelves up and it makes a nice spot for a tall hamper. The shelves hold my sweaters (just barely) and pants on the bottom two shelves. Summer hats and bags go on the top shelf. I also previously had belts in both rooms, hanging on whatever random hook I could find. I have a belt/tie hanger, so moved that to a hook on the back of the closet door. Works great, and I actually put them back when I'm done with them. Novel idea.
Next up was where to put the drawer unit that now holds my shirts. There's no room on my side of the closet. So...
its' new home is on Andy's side. He uses very little of the closet, so hopefully this isn't too much of an invasion of his space. Dresses and long skirts or jackets hang on the main rod behind the little wall that separates the two doors. Sometime in the future, I would still like to add a shelf above the main hanging rod. There is 2-3 feet of unused space there, and it mysteriously never had a shelf there.
Ok - I think that qualifies as the most boring post ever. Such banalities.
In more exciting news, I emptied out the drawer that holds our plastic grocery bags. I know. The excitement is sometimes more than I can contain. But this exercise was somewhat like Bartholomew taking off hats. The bags just kept coming out! There seemed to be no end to them! How big IS this drawer anyway? Very big, is the answer. I think these things multiply like hangers. It's a conspiracy.
I now have a small handful of bags, because we use them for trash bags in our small trash cans. And now I have room to store some reusable grocery bags.
Been doing any equally exciting tidying up? Hope you have a great weekend with as much, or as little tidying as you desire!



Hey, boring or not, your resourcefulness is inspiring. I need to get to work on my own closet...
ReplyDelete