So, with moving, a new dermatologist, and mounting frustration with the problem, I again decided to seek out some medical treatment. I was put on an anti-biotic, and given a variety of creams and washes to use. The anti-biotic made me D-I-Z-Z-Y. But I persevered, and the dizziness eventually went away. But the good news was that it was all having a good effect!
One over-the-counter wash that was recommended was PanOxyl Benzoyl Peroxide 4% Creamy wash. I have tried many acne washes, but thought it was worth noting this one because it has worked well, and it is recommended by a dermatologist, and it's available to everyone. (Word of warning: don't get the 10%. It turns your skin into alligator skin!) (Also note: use white towels. It will bleach colored ones. Also a good idea to wear a white undershirt if you use it on your back.)

So, that was really the whole purpose of this post. Just wanting to share a good product in the hope it will help someone else with a similar problem. Sure, it's not likely to cure severe acne like I had single-handedly, but it may clear up mild acne, and it's worth a try.
And as one who has had skin cancer, I would feel remiss not to have a "soap-box moment"! Those of you who don't tan well or at all, or who are "dotted and spotted" (moles) like me: please just cease trying to be like those tanned beauties with lovely skin. All we do is burn, and that is when the real damage occurs to your skin. We torture ourselves by our inability to get a little tan. Embrace your pale skin - it is what God gave you. Easier said than done. I KNOW. But believe me, it is no longer hard AT ALL. It is likely a matter of life or death.
And for those of you with lovely, tan skin, please say a little prayer of thanks and leave the rest of us to our misery. :) Just Kidding! {... kind of...}
I am using an antibiotic as well- can't seem to kick it otherwise. I'm convinced there is a dietary solution but am somewhat unwilling to go dairy free or gluten free or whatever it would take. Seems crazy that so many people are having to eliminate entire food groups even if their success seems hard to deny!
ReplyDeleteI haven't actually read much about a dietary fix, but would have a hard time following through with something like that also.
DeleteOld age isn't all bad. I tan a little now and read that happens as we age!
ReplyDelete