Friday, January 31, 2014

A Note on... Cooking



Earlier this year, I was reading a blogger's New Year's Resolutions.  She always has great ones, and one of them this year was to cook dinner with her spouse once a week.  She admits to not being much of a cook, which is why this was on her list.  It made me wish her lots of luck, but mostly hope that she didn't try to make all fancy meals, get discouraged, then stop.  But rather to find some easy recipes that are unfailingly good, that you can master, so the experience is enjoyable.  This made me start thinking about my own cooking, and how this would have been good advice for the 20-year-old me. 

I've always felt that if you can read, you can cook.  And goodness knows there are an over-abundance of recipes available to anyone who knows the word Google.  Not to mention enough cookbooks for every man, woman, and child in the world to have 2 or 3.  So, I've tried a ridiculous number of recipes, most of which I don't really remember, weren't necessarily that good, and that I certainly didn't master.  It was also a trial for my poor husband who has VERY simple tastes and not an adventurous taste bud in his body.

Only lately have I started to see the value in having a set of ALWAYS good, easy to prepare dishes.  This makes dinner planning much easier, and the meal a joy to eat.  It's a requirement that everyone in the house like the dish.  Which reminds me of this book:

Anybody familiar with it?  It's about the best kids' book ever.  With wonderful illustrations.

ANYWAY :)  I was mentally compiling a list of things I thought fell in this category and wondering what other families do along these lines.  Please feel free to chime in!

Our family's first and foremost favorite meal is grilled cheese and tomato soup.

 They're always happy to see it.  This doesn't take much skill and is mastered pretty quickly.  We switch out cheeses occasionally, pepper jack being a favorite.  A few years ago, when I was feeling anti-cream of chemical-soup, we also switched from Campbell's Tomato soup (!) to Pacific Organic Creamy Tomato Soup.  (I know its not a "cream of" soup, but why stop there?)  The organic soup is SO good! We all prefer it now.  Just note to NOT get the low sodium kind - it's not nearly as tasty.  Of course.

Related, quesadillas are a big hit, and SO easy.  And yummy.  Did I mention yummy? 


This menu choice has evolved from plain cheddar and salsa in the microwave to a much yummier version.  It usually involves shredded cooked chicken, shredded cheddar or Colby jack, caramelized onions (*key ingredient!*) and some kind of soft cheese, such as savory flavored cream cheese, Alouette cheese, or even Laughing Cow cheese wedges.  They usually get cooked on the stove top, but are also very good in the oven.  If this isn't in your menu plan, add it!  Today!  So easy, so good.

Another addition to our menu regulars this last year has been BBQ Chicken Salad. 
Picture credit: A Turtle's Life For Me
I ran into it some way or another on A Turtle's Life for Me blog.  Here's the link to the recipe:  http://www.aturtleslifeforme.com/2011/11/my-favorite-salad.html
Again, so good, so easy.  I've served it to many people and it's been universally liked.

Another recent repeater on our menu has been Cajun Beans and Rice.  It has a funny start to it.  My parents-in-law always buy lots of groceries when they come to visit.  One of the leftovers from a visit a while ago was a box of Red Beans and Rice mix.  It wasn't something I used, or wanted to use.  But one day, I got tired of looking at it and decided to come up with something to use it in.  I had the idea to make Cajun wraps, and looked for inspiration online.  Finding a list of thing to go into the wraps, I put it all together and it was love at first bite!  And has been another favorite ever since.  One night, Andy said he'd rather just eat the insides and skip the tortilla.  (He does this with breakfast burritos, too. {goofy})  But it stuck, so we just eat it sans tortillas now.

 Basic recipe:
     ~ box mix of Red Beans and Rice, fixed according to box directions
     ~sauté onion strips and 2 bell pepper strips (any color)
     ~add to veggies: sliced Andouille sausage, shredded cooked chicken
     ~combine finished beans and rice with the sauté and ENJOY

Hamburger Surprises - I think this may be a long standing tradition in some other families, but I've been a long time "coming 'round".  And I also cheat.  Rhodes frozen roll dough?  Yep!  Easy!
This is a VERY versatile recipe.  There's the traditional hamburger and cheddar, but we tried one that took it up a level with ground buffalo (I still used beef), shredded smoked gouda, and sun dried tomatoes.  Tasty!  But really you can put anything you can dream up in them.  Pizza toppings, sautéd veggies, ham, black beans and corn?  Great for experimenting.  Just thaw (raise) the rolls, flatten them into discs about 4-5" across, put a scoop of filling in the middle and wrap the dough around it, pinching the bottom together and place in pan bottom side down.  Bake at 350 for about 20 min.  If you have teenage boys, be prepared for them to eat approximately 5 each.    Actually, I'm just guessing at that, but they go down SO easy!

And that's probably a long enough post for now!  What's on your regular gets-repeated-often-because-everybody-loves-it-and-its-easy menu?

12 comments:

  1. Yes, that was more fun than zits. ;-). Now if you would just send leftovers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hardly want MY leftovers when you're in the food capital of the world!

      Delete
  2. Wow…. you have been creative. We have been eat boringly compared to you. But since have cancer we have strictly stuck to veggies/fishes/raw foods. We juice every day. We do eat a lot of chicken and hardly any red meats anymore. All wheat products - try cutting out process stuff and it is very hard because I was so use to cooking like that so now it is more of a challenge in a lot of ways. But we are doing good. I love your posts ! Happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how a major health event changes our diet. I'd love to hear more about your juicing experience. I've done some smoothies, but I'm not super crazy about it. Good luck with your healthy eating!

      Delete
  3. I am going to have to try some of your ideas! I am recently cooking more (also wanting to prove that I can feed my child) and am finding my favorite recipes on various food blogs.
    My favorites are green chili beef in the crockpot (cook a beef roast in the crockpot with 1/2 can green enchilada sauce and add green chilis, onions and the rest of the can of green enchilada sauce towards the end), chicken fajitas (my favorite food!), and smoky black bean soup. The smoky black bean soup recipe is from a food blog and it turned out WAY better than I thought it would. Spicy and yummy!
    Keep blogging my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your chili sounds really spicy! I like fajitas too - that's a good one to add to the list. The black bean soup sounds good too. I've made a few different recipes and like it, but get tired of it quickly - so it goes on the mental "1-2 times a year" list.

      Delete
  4. I've done variations of most of these... Good suggestions. I have to keep enough in the rotation or I get tired of them. Seems like nothing is ever as good as the first time you make it. So I am happiest when I have time to try one new recipe each week. Not always organized enough to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am prone to cooking boredom too. Well, eating boredom, really. So where other people cook their "usuals" most days of the week and try something new occasionally, I'm inclined to cook something new or not cooked in a long time most days, and have a set of "usuals" for days when I'm uninspired and want something quick and easy. And tasty. I guess it comes down to = if there's a hard way to do it, I'll usually go that route. haha!

      Delete
  5. Fun to read your usuals! I am at the same point as you. I always resisted menu planning because I love trying new things and I hated the idea of being tied into something in case I get some brain-iac idea for supper. But with four little kids, The Seven Silly Eaters resonates more and more (We love it! And most Mary Ann Hoberman books) and I have become tired of making something, only to put it on the table to a chorus of "I don't like it!" Someday, someday we again be adventurous. Tomato soup/grilled cheese and quesidillas, and taco salad are in our top ten as well. Spaghetti features in there. As well as a mash meal thing. And of course, meat and potatoes. And pizza. And.... I feel a blog post coming on.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! The biggest voice in my chorus is my husband! Oh, yeah - Hash - everyone LOVES it, including the dog. :) I'm not big on making pizza for some reason. I prefer to order in for that! (now that we can!) But the stores around here do have premade pizza dough, so that's fun. Glad I inspired a blog post for you - write away!!

      Delete
  6. Jeana, you sound very accomplished in your cooking. Those all sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have any of that on our menu since it results in a bad reaction for me. Makes me sad! But as I think you know we depends on emeals.com for our menu sanity.

    ReplyDelete

No spam please!