Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Looking around...

So, it's house tour time!  First up - the kitchen.




 I like this room for its' size, its' French doors to the back deck.  The cabinets are very adequate.  They were built with the house back in 1959 and are very sturdy.  All the appliances came with the house and seem to be in good working order.  The oven preheats in 4 1/2 minutes, which tickles me pink every time.  I think my last oven was more along the lines of 20 minutes...  The dishwasher is stainless steel inside, which I love.  The fridge is a side by side - which I hate.  lol!  What's the point of a freezer that's  6 inches wide?!   Well, okay, 9 inches wide.  I just went and measured.  So I suppose it'll be the one appliance that takes forever to die...

 You may notice the island - I asked them to leave it with the house and I'm so glad I did.  It's a great addition to the kitchen.  The sink. 

When it was new, I'm sure it was the hottest thing going.  The left side is ENORMOUS!  Nearly the whole depth of the counter.  And I should love it -- but I don't.  The faucet only reaches the top right 3 inches, and it gets dirty too easily without being able to rinse it adequately.  Of course this would be helped by a different faucet.  (It also doesn't have a sprayer, which doesn't help.)
 Awkward little space next to the stove?  Yep.  Very.  This is also where the main phone jack for the house is.  Weird.
This is the little shelving unit under the windows in the breakfast nook area.  I would LOVE to rip them out and do built in seating.  It would make so much more sense.  I found that round table at a garage sale for about $20.  I plan on painting the base - white/cream maybe - it's all chewed up from a puppy, or something.  I intended for it to go in the basement as a game table, but I like where it landed, so it'll probably stay.  The light fixture would need to be moved back to it's original spot (I guess you can't see it in the pics) but that should be no problem.  What is going to be a problem is that there is an electric baseboard unit under one of the shelves.  Brother.  We'll have to figure out how to move it or install something else.
 Off the kitchen, to the left of the French doors is a funny little closet/pantry situation.  It's divided into two rooms.  The first, above, is currently a broom closet.  There is a bunch of wasted space here due to all the doors.  It'd be nice to come up with a neater solution for storage and maybe put some sort of mini mudroom coat/purse storage in here.


Through that extra door is a pantry.  This used to be the old staircase into the basement.  The moved that and made this into a pantry.  We mostly use this for recycling storage.  (I LOVE curbside recycling!!)  It's a little too far away from the main cooking area to be used for often used food storage, so it's just an overflow.  Also, there is no flooring in this room, just plywood with a great big sticky stain in the middle.  Hence the rugs.  On to the living room...

 This room needs the most attention.  :)  All our old living room furniture goes in the basement, so we'll need to get new furniture for this room.  Yay!  However, in the meantime, it's a bit of a disaster.  The kids are playing computer in this pic (pretty much on the floor), because our basement was getting new flooring and that's where the computer area will be in the future.  We have an odd assortment of chairs and rugs and lamps there now, just so we can have someplace to sit.  There are huge windows in this room and it's overall a very large room.  I cannot wait to get it a little more put together.  You'll notice it's blue. 

And most of you know that I'm not a blue person.  But, I think this is an opportunity for branching out, style wise.  The previous owner had an adorable midcentury modern setup in here, and I loved it.  So it will inspire the new room.
 The dining room is also blue and also has an awesome big window.  Our big dining table will go in here - it has been in storage for the last couple months, and hadn't made it to the house yet in this picture.
 The bathroom is pretty basic.  Nice size, clean, not much that I'm dying to change.  Except that faucet.  What's with faucets that only reach a couple inches into the sink?  Major pet peeve of mine.  Again, I'm going with blue in this room.  It just seems to fit.
 

There are two bedrooms on the main floor.  The purple one above is pretty small.  I figured this would make a great office for me, since I work from home.  This has already helped my organization for work immensely.  I plan on just rolling with the paint color, as I don't mind the light lavender.  It has two nice windows which bring in bunches of light - lovely!  It also has a decent sized closet, which I am taking over for my clothes, because the master closet is much less than adequate for two people.

The master bedroom isn't huge, nor is it tiny.  It has nice windows, and it's GREEN.  Yay!  It's a very cottagey green and happens to go nicely with a quilt I had bought a while ago.  Did you know we've never owned a proper bedframe with a headboard and all?  It's probably about time... being grown ups and all. :)
Then down to the basement...

 We are loving the family room so far!  We had to rip out all the old carpet due to unknown large amounts of cat pee.  UGH!!  Unexpected major expense!  But, as these things can often go, there's a silver lining.  It's super nice to have brand new, clean carpet down here.  And we figured we may as well paint while the carpet was up, so enter Jolene's favorite color of moss green.  :)  You'll see that there is a ready to go library.  Woot woot!  I LOVE this feature, as we're a book worm family and I was always complaining about books EVERYWHERE!  These will also hold games and likely, framed pictures (that have been boxed up for years because of no place to go.  My theory here is - NO BOX left unpacked!!)  There is also a space in the back there that should make a nice sewing area.  The laundry, a 3/4 bath, and a couple storage rooms are back in that region also.

The basement is divided into two sections.  The above family room section on one side of the staircase, and a guest suite on the other side.

I'm very excited to have this space for longer term guests (i.e. parents) to come and be comfortable.  There is a kitchenette and a 3/4 bath.  This room got the new carpet treatment also.  It has an outside access door, so technically it could be rented out.  I'm toying with the idea of occasionally renting it out during key college weekends.  There is a major lack of hotels in the area and during parent weekends, home games, etc. it can be hard to find a place to stay in town.
That's probably enough yabbering for now!  Check back later for the rest of the place...

5 comments:

  1. We still don't have a grown-up bed, either. Maybe for our 20th anniversary? :-). I love the house, that basement looks huge. Of course, the bookcase is my favorite part of the family room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your new place of abode. It has some very nice features - big windows, big basement with bookshelves, french doors - it has character. Wishing you all the best in your new house and in Moscow but we will miss seeing you in Montana. Gail Thrasher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty nice little place! Love all the light colors. And the windows! Seems to be a good amount of natural light, which makes such a difference! Glad you are settling in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jolene, in thinking about your corner by the stove - the reason it seems unusual is because the refrigerator that would have been in the house when it was built would not have been as big as the side by side and would have likely been close to even with the front of the counters. (Thus no dark hole beside the frig.)

    I do like your house and its many attractive features. Does it also have an upstairs as well as the basement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gail! Thanks for your nice comments about our house. I think when they built the place in '59 they had one of those older stoves that were wider with the side by side oven or warming drawer. (Like the one they have or used to have in the nursery at Devon.) Hence the awkward space with the smaller modern size stove. Wouldn't it be fun to find a restored old one to use? I'd sure consider it if I ran into one!

      Delete

No spam please!